Discussing Pet Poison Prevention And The Holiday That Promotes It
March is finally here! With March comes the beginning of Spring, St. Patrick’s Day, and the exciting pet themed holiday known as Pet Poison Prevention Month. This month-long holiday aims to remind and educate pet owners about all of the things in our homes that are toxic to our pets. This article will cover everything you need to know about Pet Poison Prevention Month and the various household products that are dangerous to pets.
Pet Poison Prevention Month was created as an educational holiday that aims to educate pet owners on the dangers of household items and products that are poisonous to pets. Both cats and dogs have been known to get into places they shouldn’t and eat things they’re not supposed to. Occasionally, this includes things that are poisonous. The best way to stop your pet from accidentally ingesting something toxic is to take preventative measures.
If you’re a pet owner, then we encourage you to take extra measures to make your home as “pet-proof” as possible. This means keeping any potentially toxic substances like cleaning supplies, medications, and plants out of your pets’ reach. Keeping your cabinets locked with childproof latches, securing lids to garbage cans, and never leaving people food out are all great ways to make your home safer for your pets.
What To Do If Your Pet Ingests Something Poisonous
Accidents happen. Even with all of the preventative measures, your pet can still accidentally ingest something poisonous. If this happens, remember to stay calm and act fast. Contact your local veterinarian or animal hospital for an emergency appointment. You can also call the Pet Poison Hotline which is 855-764-7661 or visit their website at petpoisonhelpline.com. This is a 24/7 service with pet poison experts standing by to help walk you through the process of helping you and your poisoned pet. We recommend keeping both your veterinarian’s phone number and the pet poison hotline number on hand for these emergency situations.
Toxic Household Items To Watch Out For
There are many typical mundane items found in our homes that are toxic to both dogs and cats. For the sake of brevity, we will list some of the most commonly ingested items that are poisonous to dogs and cats. Keep in mind that just because an item didn’t make it on our list, doesn’t mean it’s safe for our pets. Always double check that a particular product or food is safe to leave around pets before bringing it into the house.
Human medications are very useful for people but can be deadly if accidentally ingested by dogs or cats. Everything from aspirin, to allergy medicine, even cold/flu medication is dangerous. Both the dosage and the substances in human medications are designed to help people, but can be seriously dangerous to our pets.
It can be very tempting to give our pets people food, but do so with caution. Dogs and cats don’t have the same digestive systems as people and can’t properly digest the foods we eat as a result. Always double check that a particular type of people food is safe for pets before giving them any. Also try to keep the portions small so as to not upset their stomach and digestive tract.
Everyone knows that chocolate is bad for dogs. But, it’s also bad for cats. This is because chocolate contains caffeine and a chemical called theobromine. Both of these can’t be properly digested by dogs or cats making them toxic substances. If your pet has a sweet tooth, try giving them small amounts of carob (a natural chocolate substitute) instead.
Plants & Flowers:
House plants can make a great addition to any home. But, it can be a dangerous addition when there are pets living in that home. There are many plants and ferns that are toxic to dogs and cats if ingested. Always do your research about a plant before bringing it into your home and try to keep them in high, hard to reach places.
Fertilizer is commonly used for both outdoor gardening and indoor plants. But, fertilizer contains some nasty chemicals and compounds that are poisonous to pets. Always keep both fertilized plants and bags of excess fertilizer out of your pets’ reach.
Household Cleaning Products:
This may seem like an obvious one, but most household cleaning products contain chemicals that are poisonous to pets if ingested. We recommend keeping your cleaning supplies locked up in your cabinets or on a high shelf in your garage or basement. This will help prevent your pets from accidentally ingesting them.
Pest Control Chemicals:
Similar to the aforementioned cleaning products, pest control chemicals are toxic to pets if ingested. Pest control products are usually literally poison and designed to kill mice and bugs. Always keep these products locked up and out of your pets reach.
Xylitol is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a sugar substitute. It is often found in gum, breath mints, toothpaste, mouthwash, baked goods, and chewable vitamins. Xylitol is very useful, but also very poisonous to dogs and cats. Always be mindful as to where and how you store any products that contain xylitol to prevent your pets from accidentally ingesting them.
Prevention Saves Lives
Here at Cool Cats Professional Cat Sitting, we put pet health and safety above all else. We hope this article helped shed some light on the dangers of household products that are toxic to pets. A little prevention goes a long way and a safe pet is a happy pet. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to check out our other articles under the blog section of our website. Happy Pet Poison Prevention Month to you and your furry friends!